cc-licenses - Re: Future-proofing CC Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Glenn Otis Brown" <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Future-proofing CC Licenses
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:56:46 -0800

I don't know if this is quite on-point to the issue below, but note that
the licenses don't say URL, but URI, which according to the W3C is more
general than the term "URL" and about as broad a definition as exists for
a way to identify a particular resource.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/NOTE-uri-clarification-20010921/

Also, keep in mind that contract law isn't as literally enforced as you
might think when it comes to adapting to new technologies. If, in 10
years, nothing anywhere close to a URI or URL exists, or if the
definition of that term has changed significantly, reasonable
interpretation of that license would allow a licensee to do the next best
or equivalent thing.

But maybe your point isn't exactly about the term URI in the license
itself . . . ?

Hope that helps. It's definitely a point to keep in mind, and we're
certainly open to more discussion on the matter, but I don't think it's
the sort of problem that needs absolute "proofing" at the moment.

Glenn