cc-licenses - Re: Probable errors in CC licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Probable errors in CC licenses
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:38:52 -0800

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 02:50:17 +0200, "Lorenzo De Tomasi"
<lorenzo.detomasi AT libero.it> said:
> If I read the names 'Attribution' and 'Attribution-NoDerivs', it seems to
> me
> that 'Attribution' permits derived copies and that 'Attribution-NoDerivs'
> doesn't permits derived copies.
> But if you read the description it seems that 'Attribution' doesn't
> permit
> derived copies ("The licensor permits others to copy, distribute,
> display,
> and perform the work.") -> It doesn't talk about modify/derive; so it
> seems
> that 'Attribution' and 'Attribution-NoDerivs' are the same license and so
> why are they 2 and not one?

They aren't the same license. Attribution explicitly grants rights to
create derivative works. See
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/legalcode>. This right isn't
called out in the commons deed
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/>, which may be the source of
your confusion. We are planning to make this clear in a commons deed
revision. However, the licenses themselves (the legalcode) are A-OK on
this count, to my non-lawyerly eyes anyhow.
--
Mike Linksvayer