cc-licenses - Re: CC License Boilerplate

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: CC License Boilerplate
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:02:35 -0800

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:47:44 -0400, "Evan Prodromou"
<evan AT wikitravel.org> said:
> So, hi, everyone. Long-time listener, first-time caller. I have a
> question about easy-to-add copyright notice boilerplate for
> cc-licensed text works.
>
> One of the things I like about GNU licenses is the nice little "How to
> use this license for your [software|document]" section:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html#SEC4
>
> ...giving some easy text I can just copy-and-paste into where my
> copyright notice should go.

Thanks for the link. We're working on better "how to tag works" guides.

> I understand that there's the bits of text here:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/learn/technology/web
>
> ...but they don't seem to be enough to be compliant with Attribution
> licenses, since no copyright (c) notice is included.

IANAL, and one will correct me if I'm wrong :-), and this isn't legal
advice even if it is correct, but AFAICT no explicit (c) is required -- X
is under Y license is good enough -- that's what we have on
creativecommons.org anyway.

> I think it would
> be nice to have a little self-complying text section:
>
> Copyright (c) 2002, 2003 Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
> Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
> under the terms of the Attribution-ShareAlike 1.0 license
> (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/).
>
> Am I dumb or just confused? Is there already such a nice little block
> of text I can add to cc-licensed text?

I'd say neither. Just add the above statement to your print-formatted
pages.

Would also be cool if you could add embedded RDF to each Wikitravel page,
see <http://creativecommons.org/learn/technology/metadata/implement>, or
go through the license engine again <http://creativecommons.org/license/>
and copy the RDF generated in the final step.

> My concern is for Wikitravel (http://www.wikitravel.org/). Wikitravel
> is a project to make a free, complete, up-to-date and reliable
> world-wide travel guide, and contributors license their content under
> the by-sa. We have printable versions of articles; I'd like to add a
> teensy bit of copyright and rights info at the bottom of the printable
> version, so that folks who print out an article can make photocopies
> to hand out (at hostels, tourist info centers, etc.) and still comply
> with the by-sa.

Great idea there for wikitravel!
--
Mike Linksvayer