cc-info - [cc-info] Creative Commons Newsletter August 2009

cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The Creative Commons monthly newsletter.

  • From: Melissa Reeder <melissa AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-info] Creative Commons Newsletter August 2009
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 13:44:17 -0700

ccNewsletter August 2009

"CC seems to fit the project well. I feel like this license can inspire new creative opportunities. Also, it just makes sense with the current state of technology. I’d rather people have the music than not; so if someone burns a CD for their friend, that’s great. We’ve gotten a lot of positive nods from people just for being aligned with CC. There have been no real obstacles so far."
~ Musician John Wood, on why he chose to release all the music he creates for Learning Music Monthly under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license (CC BY-NC-SA). Read the full interview:

As always, we encourage you to stay up to date with CC news by subscribing to our weblog: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog> and following us on Twitter:
<http://twitter.com/creativecommons>

In this Newsletter:
* Google image search implements CC license filtering
* Vietnam opens national license draft for discussion
* Poland's Version 3.0 licenses now online
* GOOD: "We Like to Share" interview series
* Open Educational Resources (OER) in Latin America - Sharing the knowledge and building community
* WisconsinView dedicates 6+ terabytes of data to the public domain
* Launch of two new resources for Open Education: OpenEd, DiscoverEd

Google image search implements CC license filtering

Google has officially launched the ability to filter search results using Creative Commons licenses inside their Image Search tool. It is now easy to restrict your Image Search results to find images which have been tagged with our licenses, so that you can find content from across the web that you can share, use, and even modify. Searches are also capable of returning content under other licenses, such as the GNU Free Documentation License, or images that are in the public domain. To filter by CC search, go to Google’s advanced Image Search page and select the options you’d like in the “Usage rights” section. Your results will be restricted to images marked with CC licenses or other compatibly licensed photos.

Full story: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/15691>

Vietnam opens national license draft for discussion

CC Vietnam has released its first license draft and is inviting the Vietnamese and international community to join in reviewing it. The goal of the license porting, coordinated by Creative Commons International, is to legally and linguistically adapt the CC licensing suite to national law. That way, creators enjoy additional legal certainty while better understanding the license terms in their own language. National CC projects rely on content creators and license users worldwide to give feedback to improve local legal tools and build a strong community. Please consider weighing in on CC Vietnam’s drafting efforts by subscribing to their mailing list.

Read more and subscribe: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/15740>

Poland's Version 3.0 licenses now online

CC Poland, one of the earliest jurisdictions to found a national Creative Commons project, has released its set of Poland-specific CC licenses at Version 3.0, Creative Commons’ most current license version.

The upgrade is significant for several reasons, one being that Version 3.0 encompasses our long-held vision of establishing a compatibility structure to allow interoperability between different flexible content copyright licenses. This structure has opened doors for important adopters, such as the Wikipedia community and Wikimedia Foundation, who recently approved the adoption the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 (CC BY-SA) license as the main content license for Wikipedia and other Wikimedia sites.

Fulls story: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/15990>

GOOD: "We Like to Share" interview series

This past December, Creative Director Eric Steuer conducted a series of interviews with people about the value of sharing information and resources in their respective fields of work. The interviews were edited into a podcast for GOOD entitled “We Like to Share” that was made available to people who attended the GOOD December series of events in Los Angeles. Last week, GOOD began posting CC BY-licensed text versions of the interviews on its website and will roll out one a week over the next few months. The first interview is with Chris Hughes, one of the co-founders of Facebook, who was the online strategist for the Barack Obama campaign. Check back at “We Like to Share” each Thursday to read interviews with iconic sharers like Jimmy Wales, Chris Dibona, Frances Pinter, Jesse Dylan, and Curt Smith.

<http://www.good.is/series/we-like-to-share>

Open Educational Resources in Latin America

We are thrilled to welcome Carolina Botero, project lead for CC Colombia, as ccLearn’s regional liaison for the exciting projects in open education in Latin America and the Spanish-speaking world. Carolina will be working with ccLearn (the education wing of Creative Commons) staff to document existing projects and initiatives related to open educational resources throughout the region. We anticipate that this work will extend the size and impact of the OER and CC networks, fostering greater collaboration among projects as well as greater awareness of their important work. Carolina will also develop reports about prior regional activities (such as the Latam Commons 2008 meeting in Chile last year) as well as forward-looking documents about future events and opportunities throughout the region.

Full story: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/15951>

WisconsinView dedicates 6+ terabytes of data to the public domain

WisconsinView, an effort to make available a variety of types of imagery for the state of Wisconsin, will now make their data available in the public domain via CC0 (CC Zero). From the press release:

“Since 2004, WisconsinView  has made aerial photography and satellite imagery of Wisconsin available to the public for free over the web. As part of the AmericaView consortium, WisconsinView supports access and use of these imagery collections through education, workforce development, and research. Starting June 30, 2009, WisconsinView is making available all of its more than 6 Terabytes of imagery data under the new CC0 Protocol provided by Creative Commons." Learn more about CC0 at http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain.

Launch of two new resources for Open Education: OpenEd, DiscoverEd
We are happy to announce the launch of two new resources for educators and learners interested in Open Educational Resources: OpenEd and DiscoverEd. OpenEd is a new open education community site, hosted at http://opened.creativecommons.org. It is designed for teachers, learners, or anyone looking to get involved, so we encourage you to check it out and, since it is a wiki, to start contributing today! DiscoverEd is an education search engine prototype that is now up and running at http://discovered.creativecommons.org. It is designed to provide scalable search and discovery for educational resources on the web, but is still in a very experimental phase; please help us out by providing your feedback so we can continue to improve it.
More info on OpenEd: http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/15467
More info on DiscoverEd: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/15486>

=============
We rely on our supporters to continue our work enabling stories like those listed above. Check it out --

Donate:
http://support.creativecommons.org/donate

CC Store:
http://support.creativecommons.org/store

Join the CC Network:
http://support.creativecommons.org/join

Events:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Events

Subscribe to the CC Weblog:
http://bloglines.com/sub/http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss
http://google.com/reader/view/feed/http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss
http://add.my.yahoo.com/rss?url="http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss

This newsletter is licensed under
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ -- please share and remix!

Creative Commons was built with and is sustained by the generous support of organizations including the Center for the Public Domain, the Omidyar Network, The Rockefeller Foundation, The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, as well as members of the public.

To unsubscribe from this newsletter, visit: