cc-info - [cc-info] ccNewsletter July 2009

cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The Creative Commons monthly newsletter.

  • From: Melissa Reeder <melissa AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-info] ccNewsletter July 2009
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 14:15:55 -0700

Creative Commons News!

You may notice that we've made some changes to the ccNewsletter! There's so much exciting stuff going on in the world of CC, and in order to keep you up to date on what we're up to, from now on we'll be sending monthly news updates just like this one. Once every three months, we'll also produce a beautiful PDF version of the newsletter, for your reading pleasure. As always, we encourage you to stay up to date with CC news by subscribing to our weblog: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog> and following us on Twitter: <http://twitter.com/creativecommons>

"I chose a CC BY-SA license to allow the film to reach a much wider audience; to prohibit the copyrighting - “locking up” - of my art; to give back to the greater culture which gave to me; to exploit the power of the audience to promote and distribute more efficiently than a conventional distributor; and to educate about the dangers of copy restrictions, and the beauty and benefits of sharing."

~ Filmmaker Nina Paley, explaining why she chose the highly permissive Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license for her recent full-length animated feature, Sita Sings the Blues.
Read the full interview: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/14760>

In this Newsletter:
* Wikipedia Officially Converts to CC BY-SA
* Ridley Scott to Use CC BY-SA for Blade Runner Web Series
* Launch of Inside OER and Comic
* Sage to Launch this Month
* CC Ireland Discusses Version 3.0 of CC Licenses
* Picasa Adds CC Search

Wikipedia Officially Converts to CC BY-SA
The entire English Wikipedia and other Wikimedia sites are now licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license (CC BY-SA), following a community vote and approval by the Wikimedia Foundation board members. The outreach effort to non-Wikimedia wikis to take advantage of this migration opportunity is ongoing, and one very important milestone was reached June 19, when most wikis hosted by Wikia (there are thousands) converted to CC BY-SA.
Full story: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/15411>

Ridley Scott to Use CC BY-SA for Blade Runner Web Series
Ridley Scott, the famed SciFi director of the classic Blade Runner will be producing a new web series based on the film, released under our free copyleft license, Attribution-ShareAlike (CC BY-SA). The series is initially slated for web release with the possibility of television syndication, and will be a project by Ag8.
Full story: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/14940>

Launch of Inside OER and Comic
ccLearn, the education wing of Creative Commons, is proud to announce the launch of Inside OER (acronym for Open Educational Resources), which is a full suite of interviews with movers and shakers in the open education world, all available for redistribution and remix. The latest Inside OER, an interview with IssueLab’s Lisa Brooks on opening up research, has been re-crafted into an engaging and entertaining comic, so be sure to check it out, share, and remix!
Full story: <http://learn.creativecommons.org/projects/inside-oer>

Sage to Launch this Month
Sage, the non-profit entity formed out of Merck & Co, Inc, will formally launch this July. Through Sage, Merck will donate a large amount of data and software to the commons, the body of work available to the public for free and legal sharing, use, repurposing, and remixing. Sage will be the home of an open access disease biology platform based on the work previously done at Rosetta Inpharmatics and will be led by Stephen Friend and Eric Schadt, two leading thinkers in biotechnology. Sage will be hosted at a set of major US research universities, including UCSF, University of Washington, and Yale University. Science Commons, the science wing of CC, is working with Sage on its sharing strategies and governance plans. Stay tuned, as great things are sure to come out of Sage in the coming months! Sage homepage: <http://www.sagebase.org/>

CC Ireland Discusses Version 3.0 of CC Licenses
On behalf of CC Ireland, we are pleased to announce that the draft of CC BY-NC-SA adapted to Irish law is now in public discussion. The CC Ireland team, lead by Dr. Darius Whelan and Louise Crowley and hosted at the University College Cork, has been working with Creative Commons International to port the licenses to local copyright legislation. The public discussion is a key part of Creative Commons’ license porting project. It is an opportunity for you, content creators and license users, to engage in the drafting process and give your input on this collaborative effort. We invite you to join CC Ireland’s discussion list: <http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/cc-ie/> or visit their website and share your comments with local and international legal experts: <http://www.ucc.ie/law/irishlaw/creativecommons/>

Full story: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/14958>

Picasa Adds CC Search
Picasa Web Albums, Google's photo album service, now allows you to narrow your search to include only CC-licensed photos, making it easier to find photos to share and remix. It's one thing to enable your community to select a CC license for their work, but it's another thing entirely to help the rest of the web discover that content. Picasa’s commons community will surely benefit from this kind of exposure, so thanks to Picasa for enabling such a valuable feature.
Full story: <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/15130>

=============
We rely on our supporters to continue our work enabling stories like those listed above. Check it out --

Donate:
http://support.creativecommons.org/donate

CC Store:
http://support.creativecommons.org/store

Join the CC Network:
http://support.creativecommons.org/join

Events:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Events

Subscribe to the CC Weblog:
http://bloglines.com/sub/http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss
http://google.com/reader/view/feed/http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss
http://add.my.yahoo.com/rss?url="http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss

This newsletter is licensed under
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ -- please share and remix!

Creative Commons was built with and is sustained by the generous support of organizations including the Center for the Public Domain, the Omidyar Network, The Rockefeller Foundation, The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, as well as members of the public.

To unsubscribe from this newsletter, visit: