cc-info - [cc-info] ccNewsletter #5

cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The Creative Commons monthly newsletter.

  • From: Melissa Reeder <melissa AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-info] ccNewsletter #5
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:49:00 -0800

Dear All,

2007 closed on a high note for Creative Commons, and 2008 has picked up where 2007 left off. This promises to be an exciting year for CC and for Free Culture.  Thanks to everyone for your ongoing support of our work - CC's future is bright, and we have you, our community, to thank for that.

Also, I'm working on revising the ccNewsletter. Please feel free to email me with any suggestions or comments that you may have.

All the best,

Melissa

CC News:
* Creative Commons Announces Pledges Made to Fulfill '5x5" Funding Challenge
* Wikipedia and Creative Commons next steps
* Participatory Media Lab launch with ccMixter analysis
* Creative Commons licensing for public sector information

ccLearn News:
* Make Textbooks Affordable campaign launched
* Teachers, Students, Web Gurus, and Foundations Launch Campaign to Transform Education, Call for Free, Adaptable Learning Materials Online
* 2008 Science Video Collection and Remix Challenge

Science Commons News:
* NPG introduces a CC license for genome research
* Science Commons announces the Protocol for Implementing Open Access Data

CC Legal News:
* CC0 beta/discussion draft launch
CC Tech News:
* liblicense 0.5: first stable version of C library supporting CC metadata
International:
* CC Hong Kong begins public discussion
* Public Broadcasters Opt for CC
* Danish Collecting Society KODA teams up with CC Denmark
* Philippines introduces locally ported Creative Commons licenses
* Serbia announces ported licenses on Creative Commons' fifth year

Congratulations, shoutouts, use cases, and interesting tid-bits:
* RightsAgent and CC+
* New York Times Continues Polling Photo Project
* Citizendium says "Our gift to the world: CC-by-sa"
* Duke Scholarly Communications Weekly Copyright Widget

We rely on our supporters to continue our work enabling
stories like those listed above. Check it out --

Donate:

CC Store:

Subscribe to the CC Weblog:

and remix!

Creative Commons was built with and is sustained by the
generous support of organizations including the Center for the
Public Domain, the Omidyar Network, The Rockefeller Foundation,
The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and The
William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, as well as members of
the public.

  • [cc-info] ccNewsletter #5, Melissa Reeder, 02/04/2008