cc-info - [cc-info] ccNewsletter - 4

cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The Creative Commons monthly newsletter.

  • From: Melissa Reeder <melissa AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-info] ccNewsletter - 4
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:20:40 -0800

Dear All,

Creative Commons is turning 5 years old. Thanks to the generous
sponsorship of Mozilla and Last.fm, we're throwing a big party
in San Francisco on December 15. There will be community
parties around the world. For more information check out
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Birthday_Party

While this is a major milestone for us, the stories below
exemplify the amazing progress made toward free culture
every day. Thank you for your interest, your support, and
your involvement - this movement wouldn't be as significant
as it is today without you.

If you believe in free culture, and the work that we are
doing here at CC to help build the commons, please consider
contributing to our annual campaign. Our goal is to raise
$500,000 by December 31st. We're over half-way there, but in
order to get all of the way there we need your help:

http://support.creativecommons.org/donate

All the best,
Melissa

CC News:
* Wikipedia and Creative Commons next steps
* Progress on license interoperability with Wikipedia
* Help Translate CC Software
* CC in Thailand: license draft in public discussion
* German public broadcaster adopts CC license
* Making and marking public resources as such
* Two New Academic Studies of CC
* Integrated Licensing in OpenOffice.org
* New Zealand Successfully Ports Creative Commons Licenses
* "creative commons" percentage by top level domain
* Luxembourg 40th Jurisdiction to Offer Ported Creative
Commons Licenses
* Creative Commons Licenses Launch in Greece
* CC in Thailand: a debut at ComWorld

Science Commons News:
* CC, Open Access, and moral rights
* Nguyen on our Materials Transfer Work
* Neurocommons in the news

CC in Business:
* Indaba Music Adds CC-licensing
* Anepsosis Uses CC for MMMORPG Character Art
* CC+ Video
* River Rat Records
* Fedora 8 Aids CC-Search in Firefox
* Cory Doctorow on How to Use CC-Licenses
* Help develop a course on Creative Business in the Digital Era

2007 Annual Campaign News:
* Creative Commons is turning 5!
* The 50,000 friends challenge
* Let the 2nd annual CC swag photo contest begin!
* CC Launches Widget Campaign
* Red Hat Shares the Love
* 5 Ways to Grow the Commons

Congratulations, shoutouts, use cases and interesting tid-bits:
* UK: Open Rights Group @2
* Panda Punk Lab: Inauguration in Chile
* Peter Gabriel, WITNESS, and The Hub
* Alex Miroshnichenko and the Santiago Fires
* CC China Photo Contest
* LibriVox Releases 1,000th Public Domain Audio Book
* BloodSpell: first full length machinima feature released
* Happy Birthday Public Library of Science
* Thanks and congratulations to Wikimedia Commons
* TempoStand: CC Music Platform
* Taking Stock in of the Creative Commons Experiment

We rely on our supporters to continue our work enabling
stories like those listed above. Check it out --

Donate:
http://support.creativecommons.org/donate

CC Store:
http://support.creativecommons.org/store

Subscribe to the CC Weblog:
http://bloglines.com/sub/http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss
http://google.com/reader/view/feed/http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss
http://add.my.yahoo.com/rss?url=http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss

This newsletter is licensed under
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ -- please share
and remix!

Creative Commons was built with and is sustained by the
generous support of organizations including the Center for the
Public Domain, the Omidyar Network, The Rockefeller Foundation,
The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and The
William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, as well as members of
the public.

  • [cc-info] ccNewsletter - 4, Melissa Reeder, 12/06/2007