cc-info - [cc-info] CC Newsletter #1

cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The Creative Commons monthly newsletter.

  • From: melissa AT creativecommons.org
  • To: cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-info] CC Newsletter #1
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 13:16:06 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,

Welcome to the inaugural Creative Commons Newsletter. Every other month
we'll inform you of some of the most interesting news from the CC
ecosystem in bite size pieces. If you want to drink from the firehose,
subscribe to the CC weblog with one of the links at the end of this email.

We are working to strengthen our relationship with you - our community of
users and supporters. Please feel free to email me if you have any
questions or suggestions about how we can continue to grow this
relationship. CC and the broader movement for a global digital commons
would not be nearly as significant as it is today - only 5 years later
-without your continuous support.

Inside CC:
* Retiring standalone DevNations and one Sampling license
* Livephotoblogging the CC Board

CC in Science: from the Science Commons Blog
* Sparc Announce New Tools for Scholarly Publishing
* EU Commission calls for emphasis on knowledge

CC in Business:
* Sun CEO: free media = free software, innovation != litigation
* Sony launches CC-enabled video site
* Creative Commons in Newspapers, Scientists, Film Students,
and Wikipedia SEOers (!?)
* O’Reilly on free downloads vs sales

CC Use Cases & Shoutouts:
* A Story of Healing becomes First Academy Award
Winning Film Released under Creative Commons License
* Open Content Licensing - Cultivating the Creative Commons (book)
* CC licensed podcast wins Nebula Award
* blip.tv, Flickr, and WikiTravel win Webby Awards
* Overmundo and PCF win awards and support
* CC Australia and the CC Video Slam!
* Another great Steve Jurvetson photo reused under a CC license
* CC search archive.org and more with SpinXpress

If you have an interesting CC use case story or anecdote please email us
-- we only hear about a fraction of the cool things happening in the
commons globally.

Please continue to spread and support this movement. Thank you!

The CC store:
http://support.creativecommons.org

Subscribe to the CC Weblog:
http://www.bloglines.com/sub/http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss
http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss
http://add.my.yahoo.com/rss?url=http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss

This newsletter is licensed under
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ -- please share and remix!

Creative Commons is sustained by the generous support of various
organizations including the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation,
the Hewlett Foundation, and the Rockefeller Foundation as well as members
of the public.

  • [cc-info] CC Newsletter #1, melissa, 06/08/2007