cc-info - [cc-info] Creative Commons News, February 1, 2004

cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The Creative Commons monthly newsletter.

  • From: Glenn Otis Brown <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-info AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-info] Creative Commons News, February 1, 2004
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:38:22 +0900

Hello Creative Commons community,

The newsletter consists of the following:

I. Blog Highlights, January 2004
II. Press Hits, January 2004

Feedback welcome: <info AT creativecommons.org>.

Thanks.

I. BLOG HIGHLIGHTS

-----------------

Electrobel
2004-01-29

This week's featured content is Electrobel[1], a massive music
community site for Belgian electronic music of all genres. There are
over 2000 Creative Commons licensed tracks available for streaming and
downloading. The site has an impressive array of features as well.
Check out music by genre[2], by artist[3], or by song[4] (the little
diskette icon will let you download a song) and you can even leave
comments for the artist on the songs you like. It's a great way for
DJs to share songs with each other and get comments and also a great
way to hear new music for users. I keep coming back to the hip-hop
section[5], fascinated by rhymes fast and hard in a language I can't
speak.

[1] http://www.electrobel.be/
[2] http://www.electrobel.be/muzik.php? action=list&type=style&zone=GENERAL&data=Drum+n+Bass&PHPSESSID=ca5b276f7 914105d8bba324e711b1572#1773
[3] http://www.electrobel.be/muzik.php? action=list&type=id&data=596&PHPSESSID=ca5b276f7914105d8bba324e711b1572
[4] http://www.electrobel.be/muzik.php? action=detail&type=detail&zone=GENERAL&data=1773&PHPSESSID=ca5b276f79141 05d8bba324e711b1572
[5] http://www.electrobel.be/muzik.php? action=list&type=style&zone=GENERAL&data=HipHop&PHPSESSID=ca5b276f791410 5d8bba324e711b1572#1290

-----------------

Fusedspace contest
2004-01-27

An interesting contest has just opened for entries, called Fusedspace
[1]. "An international design competition on innovative applications
for new technology in the public domain" is how they describe
themselves but keep in mind the term "public domain" in this case is
more specific to public spaces. The contest is set to give away over
17 thousand Euros in prize money for the best proposals that meld
public spaces, technology, art, and community. Entry deadline is April
30th.

[1] http://www.fusedspace.org/

-----------------

City art and CC licenses
2004-01-27

Over at the blog "A Month Full Of Wednesdays" I noticed a post[1]
describing a recent Minneapolis call for music and video to play in
stations[2] and a recent call for artwork[3] for Cleveland's public
transit. The post mentions an idea to extend Cleveland art requests to
include audio for use in stations and the transit authority's hold
system.

The author mentions that Creative Commons licenses would be a good
idea to level the playing field and allow the municipal companies to
share the music with others on their site freely. We can't help but
agree; these projects calling for artwork, music, and video for public
transportation ask creators to contribute their work for the good of
the community, much like our licenses do for the good of a greater
culture.

[1] http://amfow.blogspot.com/ 2004_01_01_amfow_archive.html#107440322009007354
[2] http://www.janetzweig.com/public/CallForEntries.html
[3] http://www.euclidtransit.org/public_art/default.asp

-----------------

Versioning -- Public Review Begins
2004-01-26

As we announced last week[1], we're getting ready to roll out Version
2.0 of the eleven original Creative Commons licenses. Review a draft
[2] of v2.0 of the by-nc-sa license (from which all other licenses are
composed) and let us know what you think[3]. It'll be up until Feb.
15, and we may make updates in the meantime -- we'll let you know.

A review of the changes, with directions to the relevant section:

- Warranties will now be a matter of choice for the licensor. See
Section 5a[4].
- The attribution clause will include a link-back requirement simliar
to the one previously discussed here. Licensees will only be required
to link back to licensors if (1) it's reasonably practical to do so;
(2) the licensor actually specifies a URI; (3) that URI actually
points to license information about the work. See Section 4d[5].
- The Share Alike provision will be more flexible. The provision will
allow licensees to license resulting derivative works under Creative
Commons licenses that feature the same license
restrictions/permissions, including future and iCommons versions of
the same license. The Share Alike provision will also be clearer about
what happens when different kinds of Share Alike content is mixed
together (e.g., How to license a collage made from an SA photograph
combined with an NC-SA photograph). See Section 4b[6].
- Ideas for creating compatibility between our SA license and the GNU
FDL are coming soon. We'll post here and to the cc-licenses list when
it's ready.

Thanks.

[1] http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/3968
[2] http://creativecommons.org/drafts/license2.0
[3] http://creativecommons.org/discuss#license
[4] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/draft2.0#5a
[5] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/draft2.0#4d
[6] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/draft2.0#4b

-----------------

The first new social movement of the century?

2004-01-24

The New York Times Magazine mentions Creative Commons in a long piece
[1] about copyright reform this week. The article seems to be aimed at
a general overview of the movement and forgets a few key details[2],
like Richard Stallman[3] being the man behind Copyleft[4].

[1] http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/25/magazine/25COPYRIGHT.html
[2] http://www.copyfight.org/20040101.shtml#67390
[3] http://www.stallman.org/
[4] http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/copyleft.html#WhatIsCopyleft

-----------------

Nice survey of the sampling scene
2004-01-24

Victor Stone, previously mentioned here[1] for his great remixes on
our last CD, recently signed onto Magnatune[2] with a plethora of
remixed tracks[3] from Magnatune itself.

He also recently launched a site[4] dedicated to sharing tips and
reviews of the software he uses when creating music. A post definitely
worth sharing here is the one about sampling, aimed at other
turntablists: "Where the Samples Are[5]." He covers the legal way to
acquire rights to use commercial samples, how and where to find
Creative Commons licensed samples and what benefits they provide, and
lastly how to simply pilfer commerical samples and what the
consequences might be.

[1] http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/3873
[2] http://magnatune.com/
[3] http://magnatune.com/artists/four_stones
[4] http://virtualturntable.biz/
[5] http://virtualturntable.biz/archives/000089.php

-----------------

Versioning -- Coming Up
2004-01-22

We'll be posting drafts of the new versions of our licenses later this
week. About a month of review time will follow, and then we'll revise
as needed and turn the new licenses on. Throughout the next couple of
weeks we will explain how the process of versioning will happen.

Meantime, here's a preview of the highlights:

- Warranties will now be a matter of choice for the licensor. The new
licenses will disclaim warranties, but licensors will of course be
free to negotiate warranties with licensees who demand them. (We'll
also work on a protocol to help people add warranties if they want to
-- but that will come later on.) Special thanks to Karl-Friedrich Lenz
[1] and Dan Bricklin[2] and many more for persuading us on this point.
More explanation in a separate post soon.
- The attribution clause will include a link-back requirement simliar
to the one previously discussed[3] here. Licensees will only be
required to link back to licensors if (1) it's reasonably practical to
do so; (2) the licensor actually specifies a URI; (3) that URI
actually points to license information about the work.
- The Share Alike provision will be more flexible. The provision will
allow licensees to license resulting derivative works under Creative
Commons licenses that feature the same license
restrictions/permissions, including future and iCommons versions of
the same license.
- The Share Alike provision will also be clearer about what happens
when different kinds of Share Alike content is mixed together (e.g.,
How to license a collage made from an SA photograph combined with an
NC-SA photograph).
- We're still looking into the issue of compatibility between our SA
licenses and the GNU FDL. Compared to the above improvements, this
potential tweak came on our radar pretty recently. We'll do our best
to address it. Thanks to the many of you who've written in on this
point.
- Other minor tweaks.

More soon.

[1] http://k.lenz.name/LB/
[2] http://danbricklin.com/log/
[3] http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/3636

-----------------

Nomads' Land: travel photography
2004-01-21

This week's featured content is Nomads' Land[1], a site for
photographs taken by Jean-François Maïon during travels
around the globe. A great place to start exploring the site is the map
on the main page[2]. All 1000+ photos are licensed under a Creative
Commons license and we can wait to see where Jean-François
travels to next.

[1] http://www.maion.com/photography/
[2] http://www.maion.com/photography/index.html#locations

-----------------

How to Tell People You're CC-ing It
2004-01-19

Among the many cool features of our re-design[1] this fall, we may not
have given one page the attention it deserved.

If you're marking your work or web page with our little Some Rights
Reserved button, you should take a look at our suggestions for making
a precise statement about what's being licensed[2], complete with
examples and screenshots. We'll make the page more prominent soon.

[1] http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/3856
[2] http://creativecommons.org/technology/web

-----------------

Advance in Cancer Research?
2004-01-17

NPR's Science Friday[1] last week spoke with Howard Chang, of Stanford
Medical School's Biochemistry Department[2]. Chang discussed his
recent article, co-authored with several colleagues and published in
the Public Library of Science Biology[3] open-access journal, which
explores how scientists can learn about cancer from studying the way
common wounds heal.

Like all PLoS[4] publications, Chang and company's article, "Gene
Expression Signature of Fibroblast Serum Response Predicts Human
Cancer Progression Similarities between Tumors and Wounds,"[5] is free
under a Creative Commons attribution license[6].

Recall that one of Creative Commons' resolutions[7] is to explore a
Science Commons. More unencumbered scientific knowledge to come . . .

[1] http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/2004/Jan/hour1_011604.html
[2] http://cmgm.stanford.edu/biochem/deptbiochem.html
[3] http://plos.org
[4] http://plos.org
[5] http://www.plosbiology.org/plosonline/?request=get- document&doi=10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.0020007
[6] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/
[7] http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/3957

[1] http://creativecommons.org/projects/international/uk/
[2] http://creativecommons.org/projects/international/uk/translated-license

-----------------

New Year's Resolutions
2004-01-05

New Year's Resolutions:

Make worry-free sampling and re-creativity[1] mainstream.

Make 25 country-specific sets of iCommons licenses available.

Explore Science Commons.

Version licenses.

Begin Save-a-Book campaign, revive out-of-print books.

Debut metadata search engine prototype.

Unveil CC-Mixter -- Friendster for musicians.

Launch "Anatomy of a Film" project.

Build licenses into at least two applications per medium: photography,
audio, film, text. (Adobe XMP[2] plug-in to debut soon.)

Make "some rights reserved" household phrase.

[1] http://creativecommons.org/license/sampling
[2] http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/main.html

-----------------

That's a wrap
2004-01-05

The GET CREATIVE! Moving Image Contest[1] has gone the way of 2003. Many thanks to those of you who submitted entries by the New Year. Our panel of expert judges[2] is now sorting out the winners. Stay tuned!

[1] http://creativecommons.org/contest/
[2] /contest/judges

----------------

II. PRESS HITS, JANUARY 2004

----------------

Today Online, InfoTech (Singapore)
2004-01-28

"Some Rights Reserved" by Tan Min Liang

<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/13561.asp>

----------------

Marketplace Morning Report (NPR)
2004-01-06

"Welcome to the Tech Boom" by Alex Steffen

http://www.marketplace.org/morning_report/2004/01/06_mm

American Bar Association Journal
2004-01-06

"Copyright Law: The Education of Larry Lessig" by Jason Krause

Wired Magazine
2004-01-01

"101 Ways to Save the Internet" by Paul Boutin

<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.01/internet_pr.html>

  • [cc-info] Creative Commons News, February 1, 2004, Glenn Otis Brown, 02/02/2004