cc-ie - Re: [Cc-ie] Registering the creativecommons.ie domain name

cc-ie AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Ireland

  • From: "Whelan, Darius" <D.Whelan AT ucc.ie>
  • To: Stephen Judge <stephen AT stephen.ie>
  • Cc: "Cc-ie AT lists.ibiblio.org" <Cc-ie AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-ie] Registering the creativecommons.ie domain name
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 13:50:44 +0000

Thanks, Stephen.  It appears from the whois that somebody else has registered the domain until August 2015.

There will be no specific release of 4.0 versions in Ireland as they are international – see this extract from the CC site:

What if CC licenses have not been ported to my jurisdiction?

All CC licenses are intended to work worldwide. Unless you have a specific reason to use a ported license, we suggest you consider using one of the international licenses. 4.0 will support official translations of the international license for those who wish to use the licenses in another language.

As of version 4.0, CC is discouraging ported versions, and has placed a hold on new porting projects following its publication until sometime in 2014. At that point, CC will re-evaluate the necessity of porting in the future.

Should I choose an international license or a ported license?

We recommend that you use a version 4.0 international license. This is the most up-to-date version of our licenses, drafted after broad consultation with our global network of affiliates, and it has been written to be internationally valid. There are currently no ports of 4.0, and it is planned that few, if any, will be created.

All the best,

Darius

Dr Darius Whelan,

Faculty of Law, University College Cork, Ireland

Tel. +353 21 490 3452 d.whelan AT ucc.ie

http://research.ucc.ie/profiles/B012/dwhelan/Home

http://ssrn.com/author=506478

Director, LLM in Intellectual Property and E Law –

http://www.ucc.ie/en/law-postgrad/taughtprogrammes/