cc-ie - [Cc-ie] CC Licences and Translation Rights

cc-ie AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Ireland

  • From: "Whelan, Darius" <D.Whelan AT ucc.ie>
  • To: <cc-ie AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-ie] CC Licences and Translation Rights
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:02:49 +0100

Dear Christine,

We've been meaning to get back to you about your comment, but got sidetracked with other issues related to the porting process.

Many thanks for your comments, which raise interesting points for discussion.  We're hoping to have opportunities for licence users to meet up and discuss their experiences at some stage in the future, and will keep the list posted.
Also, if you're aware of conferences or seminars where it would be useful for us to attend and contribute (or maybe set up a session specifically on CC licences), please let us know.

The comments you've made apply to the CC licences generally, not to the Irish porting process specifically.  We agree with you that if an author wants to retain control over translations then they should not use a SA licence.
We referred your email to Diane Peters in the main CC office and she made the following point:

"Copyright law (pretty much around the world) provides that translations are derivatives, and that is an exclusive right reserved to the creator.  If you want to permit translations but not allow for other types of derivatives, one option is to use a ND license but then grant special permission to allow for translations only using our CC+ protocol.
(see http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CCPlus).
It's something that can be done presently, but using our protocol it allows the additional "permission to translate" to be noted on the CC deed, which facilitates its usage.  The same protocol can be used to grant other types of permissions to create derivatives that are more tightly associated with the original, or that ensure that attribution and specific credit be provided if a derivative is made."

We hope this helps,

Darius and Louise

d.whelan AT ucc.ie / l.crowley AT ucc.ie