cc-hk - [Cc-hk] CCHK Executive Committee (preparatory)

  • From: "Rebecca MacKinnon" <rebecca.mackinnon AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-hk <cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-hk] CCHK Executive Committee (preparatory)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:54:18 +0800

Hello everybody,

Hopefully you have all received Ben's e-mail containing the minutes of last  month's meeting. He will be in touch about the dates for April's meeting very soon.

As Ben described, in the last meeting it was decided that we should form a preparatory executive committee, with a term of 1 year, whose job will include such tasks as: oversee the CCHK launch, oversee and execute fundraising strategy, set the direction of CCHK's long term operation, create a larger Advisory Board, and decide in consultation with the community how the permanent executive commitee should be selected and organized. (For more details I have pasted Ben's CCHK Organizational Structure Proposal below.)

It was agreed during the last meeting that because we have no formal way of measuring our membership it's impossible to hold an election or devise some "democratic" means of selecting the executive committee at this time. It was also agreed that for this first year, the project lead should just go ahead and nominate the Executive Committee members, keeping in mind that the E.C. cannot be too large in order to be efficient in decision-making. Once formed, the E.C. will make sure that the many other enthusiastic members of our community - who have already put a great deal of time and energy into the CCHK project - will continue to have a the opportunity to shape the direction of CCHK and be appropriately recognized by the community for their efforts. With this in mind, I suggest the following people to be on the Executive Committee. All have expressed their willingness to commit:

Chitat Chan
Ben Cheng
Oiwan Lam
Charles Mok
Jack Qiu
Pindar Wong

As legal leads and project lead, Yahong, Alice and I will also participate in the EC meetings, physical and virtual.

Please consider the next 7 days as our community consultation period. If anyone has concerns or comments about this arrangement, please e-mail me directly at rmack AT hku.hk by Thursday April 10th.

Cheers,
Rebecca

1. A preparatory executive committees will be appointed besides Public
Lead and Legal Lead.
2. The size of the preparatory executive committees is limited at 7,
includes of a Chairperson and a community coordinator.
3. The duration of the preparatory executive committees will be 1 year..
4. The functions of the preparatory executive committee includes but
not limited to:
- Decide tactics to achieve the strategic success of "Creative Commons
is the preferred and most visible licensing scheme for online creative
content in HK"
- Form a larger Advisory Board of CCHK.
- Recruiting new Executive Committees members
- Prepare the constitution, procedure and future of executive committees' duty.
- Coordinate volunteers from the community into working team and
evaluate the work
- Communicating the direction and activities of CCHK with community.
- Fleshing out management and operational issues which are encountered
'to launch' and 'post launch'
- Identify and get funding sources for CCHK operational.
5. All of the executive committees members should attend regular
meeting every month, communicate extensively via email and wiki, and
participate in the decision-making process.
--
Rebecca MacKinnon
Assistant Professor, Journalism & Media Studies Ctr.

  • [Cc-hk] CCHK Executive Committee (preparatory), Rebecca MacKinnon, 04/02/2008