cc-hk - Re: [Cc-hk] REMINDER - CCHK Meeting for Organizational Issues TOMORROW

  • From: "Mr. Pindar Wong" <pindar AT pacific.net.hk>
  • To: Ben <chpapa AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-hk] REMINDER - CCHK Meeting for Organizational Issues TOMORROW
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:54:05 +0800

Dear Ben,

Apologies as I'm unable to attend tomorrow night's meeting as I have a preexisting engagement which I was unfortunately unable to move.

Please find my initial thoughts below for what they may be worth.

* Overall Principles:

1) Keep the groups, small, simple, nimble and focussed, expand as the need arises.
2) Define Strategic 'Success' and orientate tactical efforts to achieve it.

e.g.
Strategic Success = Creative Commons is the preferred and most visible licensing scheme for online creative content in HK.
Tactic = Creative Commons is actively used by all of HK's Tertiary Institutions by 2009.

* I think two functionally different tiers should be sufficient to provide guidance, support, structure and legitimacy to our efforts.

---- Tier A: Executive Committee - Focus on Management and Operational Issues

Size: A small (5-7 person max) committee of committed individuals who are able to respond in a timely fashion to email and regular face- to-face meetings.

Main Function: To provide week-to-week, timely guidance to help 'staff' make informed operational decisions when facing operational issue as they arise.

Duration: Probably till 2-3 months after launch, i.e. to the end of 2008.

Focus:
1) Fleshing out management and operational issues which are encountered 'to launch' and 'post launch'.
2) Draft an initial 2-3 year Strategic Plan for HKCC to be proposed to larger Advisory Board

Level of Engagement: High

Paid Position: No.

--- Tier B: Larger Advisory Board - Strategic Issues

Size: Depends on how many 'constituencies' are thought necessary to be represented, with perhaps 2 delegates per constitutency, together with how many 'rock stars'/luminaries

e.g. Licensor Perspective, Licensees Perspective, HKIT Sector, Legal, Academic etc.
Probably 8+1 to start with (i.e. 4 constituencies + 1 Mgmt)

Main Function: To provide strategic guidance to HKCC

Duration: 2 years terms
Ideally individuals would serve a 2 year staggered terms, with initially one delegate having a 1 year term.

Focus:
1) To evolve and ratify the 2-3 year Strategic Plan
2) Fund Raising
3) Help communicate and promote HKCC by lending their personal credibility, experience, stature and relationships to ensure HKCC's long-term success.

Level of Engagement: Low/As needed or time permits

Paid Position: No, but travel budget may be provided dependent on funding.

m2c.

Pindar