cc-hk - Re: [Cc-hk] Monday's CC meeting

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Rebecca MacKinnon <rebecca.mackinnon AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: ying chan <yingchan88 AT gmail.com>, cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org, Doreen Weisenhaus <doreen AT hku.hk>, Peter Yu <peter_yu AT msn.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-hk] Monday's CC meeting
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 00:15:35 -0700

This is great news all! Congrats on this moving forward!

Jon

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 14:53 +0800, Rebecca MacKinnon wrote:
> Thanks to everybody who attended last night's meeting! Sorry for
> those of you who tried to call in on Skype - the wifi kept kicking me
> off the network for some reason. Fortunately there were only one or
> two of you and I promise in future I will sort out the remote
> participation issues a bit better :) Anyways, here is a summary of
> what went on:
>

> We were honored to be joined by Dr. Catharina Maracke, International
> Coordinator for Creative Commons International. (For a full list of
> attendees, see the bottom of this summary.)
>

> - HOST INSTIUTION, LEGAL LEAD & COMMUNITY LEAD: Catharina announced
> that the Journalism & Media Studies Centre at HKU will serve as the
> host academic institution for bringing CC to Hong Kong, thanks to the
> generosity and decisiveness of JMSC Director Prof. Ying Chan. HKU Law
> Faculty Professors Alice Lee and Li Yahong will head the legal team,
> working with others in the legal community who want to help in
> localizing the CC license to Hong Kong law. Rebecca MacKinnon,
> Assistant Prof. at the JMSC, will for now serve as community point
> person, with the help of other members of the Hong Kong community. As
> Catharina explained, the leadership team of CC HK can evolve over
> time, and Rebecca certainly hopes that CCHK's public spokesperson
> will ultimately be a HK person not a recently arrived American. But
> this current arrangement seems to Catharina and the other people at CC
> headquarters as the most expedient approach to getting things off the
> ground and running.
>

> - LOCALIZATION OF THE CC LICENSE: One very important thing needs to
> happen before an official Creative Commons Hong Kong organization can
> be launched: The international Creative Commons license needs to be
> localized into Hong Kong law, with versions both in English and
> Chinese. HKU Law Profs Alice Li and Li Yahong will spearhead this
> effort, and welcome other lawyers and law students in this community
> to get involved with helping. Once a draft of the localized license
> has been created, it will be circulated in the community for comments
> and suggestions. Then it will be revised into a final form. Once it
> has been completely finalized, only then will it be possible to
> officially "launch" a Creative Commons Hong Kong organization. Profs
> Lee & Li :-) are hoping this can happen within the coming half year.
> Catharina says that the amount of time needed in different countries
> has varied dramatically: in some places only a few months were needed,
> in other countries it took several years. How long it takes in HK is
> up to all the lawyers and law students in our community here.
>

> - USING THE LICENSE BEFORE THE CC HK LAUNCH: Before the CC HK license
> is launched, people in HK are certainly free to use works that have
> been created and published/distributed under any CC license anywhere
> on earth, as long as of course we follow the terms of the individual
> [...]
Jon Phillips
jon AT creativecommons.org
cell: +1.510.499.0894 (80% time)
desk: +1.415.369.8486 (20% time)

Community/Business Developer
Creative Commons
www.creativecommons.org

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice. Creative Commons cannot and does not give legal advice.
You need to assess the suitability of Creative Commons' tools for
your particular situation, which may include obtaining appropriate
legal advice from a licensed attorney.