cc-hk - Re: [Cc-hk] Creative Commons International licensing project

  • From: "Eric Eldred" <ericeldred AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Catharina Maracke" <catharina AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-hk] Creative Commons International licensing project
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 19:56:59 +0800

the costs to form and launch CC-HK should not prevent the project, they are minimal.

as Catharina points out, one of the advantages of having a project based in an academic institution is that a sort of academic conference is easily formed as it adds to the function and reputation of the university or institute.

however, there are also advantages in raising some additional support from rich people.  although some corporations such as big media companies are not so happy with CC, there are other companies such as those who produce computers or make money from people using the Internet, who enjoy benefits from CC and should be asked to donate.  having a broad base of financial support from the beginning gets "buy-in" so later joint activities and sponsorship can go on, and users and supporters know they have some way to provide later input for what CC should be doing for them.

so if you need help in talking to CEOs or rich contacts in HK i will be glad to
visit them and use my persuasive powers.  i feel it is important to form CC-HK
and i will enjoy attending an exciting launch to celebrate a lot of hard work that
you will be doing.