cc-hk - [Cc-hk] Action on copyright consultation in hk

  • From: "Oiwan Lam" <oiwan.lam AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-hk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-hk] Action on copyright consultation in hk
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:35:55 +0800

Dear all,

as the consultation on digital copyright in hk is about to close (april 30). cu student union, inmedia, blogyou.com and probably some internet radio station are planning to organize a collective submission action on april 27 (this friday), 2:30pm to the commerce and trade bureau.

during the weekend, i got calls from scmp saying that uptill last sat, the gov only recieved 182 response. this, when compared with other consultations' responses, is very low. we are not sure of the reason yet (either because the gov is using "traditional" consultation method and invites groups within their consultation list, or they have taken away those responses that are not following their standard / not answering the question, or people are waiting for the last min submission.)

in this action, we ask individuals and groups to cc their submission to us: openknowledgehk.gmail. we will call press and announce to the press the no. of submission we have collected and give chance for different stake holders to speak out.

if anyone of you is planning to write submission in group or individual base, i hope you can also cc to us. you may also consider joining our action as either one of the action co-orgnaizing group (we will wait for action co-organizing group until 12pm thursday as we need to fax the press release on that day) or as an individual who want to express opinion in front of the press.

sorry for this late notice. we only start to plan for it after we got the "news" from scmp. even the reporter is angry about the consultation... will get in touch with journalist association and see whether they would also join.

by the way, all our submissions will include the demand for gov to localize flexible copyright license in hk.

cheers,
oiwan