cc-fr - Re: [cc-fr] Against DRM 1.0

cc-fr AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons France

  • From: Antoine <antoine AT pitrou.net>
  • To: Creative Commons en France <cc-fr AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-fr] Against DRM 1.0
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:44:37 +0200

Le samedi 29 avril 2006 à 14:30 -0700, Max Brown a écrit :
> No: DRM does not protect privacy (etc.); DRM protects copyright.
> The license speaks of copyright.

You are confusing effect and motivation here. The primary motivation of
a restriction may be to save privacy, to conserve bandwidth, etc., but
the effect is restricted rights - not by side effect,
but /deliberately/.

Password-protecting a Web site (or protecting it by any other measure,
or encrypting files, etc.) does /by design/ « prevent or restrict acts
which are authorised or not authorised by licensor », which your license
explicitly disallows.

Please read debian-legal's remarks I pointed to in my previous e-mail,
they also apply to the wording of your license.

Regards

Antoine.