cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Teacherhost using ccHost and School districts owning copyright over educational materials...

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Mia Garlick <mia AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: david.wiley AT usu.edu, development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Teacherhost using ccHost and School districts owning copyright over educational materials...
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:21:38 -0700

hey sean,

this a fabulous idea and something that we have been hoping someone will do. unfortunately, as david says, there is no easy answer to your question. it will depend on each school's policy with their teachers. if the school owns the copyright, the school needs to be persuaded to be the licensor under the CC license. if the teacher does, then the teacher is the licensor....unfortunately, what happens in the analogue world in terms of being relaxed about teachers doing whatever they want with their materials doesn't always translate to the digital world - there is something about digital world that makes people nervous....

let us know how the site progresses....

rgds, mia