cc-education - [cc-education] remix questions

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: "Paul" <ix7 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-education] remix questions
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 04:15:09 -0000

I'm new here, so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong area.

I'm a remix artist who likes to use songs from the late 60's and early
70's in my work. Aside from the nightmare of getting permission, it is
virtually impossible to track down and obtain accapella and solo tracks
of the original recordings.

My original thought was to create some kind of central database where
record labels and copyright owners could post solo tracks from the
original recordings, making them available to remix artists. This could
be great new source of income for owners of this older material. It
could be a great way to open up the market for brand new releases as
well.

Are there any music aggregators who specialize in this sort of
collection? Specifically to help remixers locate accapella and solo
tracks from popular tunes of the past and present? I would love to start
a project like this myself, but I don't have the resources or funds to
do it. Does anyone have any leads on who may be already working on
something like this?

Icon Xavier
415.503.0340

  • [cc-education] remix questions, Paul, 05/26/2004