cc-education - [cc-education] Quick draft

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <dw2 AT opencontent.org>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Laura Lynch <llynch AT stanford.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [cc-education] Quick draft
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 10:02:56 -0700

Hello all. There have only been a handful of responses to the last email. I hope people won't feel offended or that I'm jumping the gun by offering draft language with so few responses, but we are working on a schedule.

As context for the draft below, please take a moment to look at the format of CC's new Sampling License - http://creativecommons.org/license/sampling - I've made a conscious effort to make our draft similar in structure and style. There is some discussion below the draft.

<DRAFT LANGUAGE>

If you make your work available under the Education License, you require that users of your work:

- Cite you as the source of the work per standard academic practices,

- Make only noncommercial uses of your work which primarily and purposively facilitate learning, and

- Distribute any modified versions of your work

+ under this same license, and
+ include in the distribution a copy of the original work which allows users to determine what changes you made to the derived work (inclusion by link / reference is sufficient)

Do you want to:

Allow teachers, students, and others directly associated with a formal educational institution, as well as mentors, tutors, self-learners, and others who may not be directly associated with a formal educational institution, to make permitted uses of your work?

- Yes

- No, I want to restrict use of my work to only teachers, students, and others directly associated with a formal educational institution.

</DRAFT>

This license is sort of a "By-NC-SA Plus" license. The three pluses are (1) noncommercial uses are not sufficient - uses must be noncommercial AND primarily facilitate learning, (2) a mechanism is imposed that establishes accountability for for the creation of derivative works.

(3) is the big one. Rather than decide for the user whether to stick to formal educational institutions or not, the draft language passes the decision on to the user. This choice in effect creates two education licenses. You will see at http://creativecommons.org/projects/sampling that the Sampling licence takes two forms because of a similar option, with two distinct license names and two separate icons. I propose that we call one license the Open Education license, and the other the Formal Education License, and that we also use two separate icons to keep clear in users minds' which is which.

So, feedback please. Remember we're trying to arrive at a draft by next Wednesday. Thanks for your blood, sweat, and tears on this,

David