cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Academic Free License

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Zachary Chandler <zechandl AT colby.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Academic Free License
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 08:53:54 -0500

Quoting Steve Foerster <steve AT longlever.com>:

> There's a license out there called the "Academic Free License"; version
> 2.0 is at <http://opensource.org/licenses/afl-2.0.php>.
>
> The Open Source Initiative releases its content under this license and
> version 2.0 of the Open Software License.
>
> Any thoughts?

For my part, I think we should keep our focus on Creative Commons projects.
They
have popular support, good press, smart people, and perhaps most importantly,
IP lawyers. Another selling point is that their licenses are for content
generally, and not just software. Not that I don't think we can't learn from
the above organization, I just balk at the possibility of unnecessary forking.

</two cents>
-Zach