cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Because one size does NOT fit all

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <david.wiley AT usu.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Because one size does NOT fit all
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:53:17 -0700

Steve Foerster wrote:

educational project. Perhaps a suite of licenses that reflect this is the answer? But then, we're back to CC itself, aren't we?

My feeling exactly. The point of cc.edu is to take the complexity (read: lots of choices) out of CC for educators who want to share but don't have time to evaluate the possible permutations of several license options. CC.edu does nothing to lessen the choice set before them. It simply provides a gentler path to entry. Once they get in and move around some and figure out what's going on, they may explore other options. The CC.edu is meant to be something we can hold up and call the education world to rally around.

I'm still curious about the following things:

* When EduCommons might be online

First usable system, with public development projects running inside, sometime late spring or early summer. We're currently hiring two additional fulltime programmers to work on this and the OLS project.

* How EduCommons will work and whether people starting projects will be able to choose whatever license they wish for them

Whatever license meets a base set of criteria similar to the Open Source Definition or Debian Social Contract; in other words, they have to license their material as Open Content.

* Who will own the material that is collaboratively produced via EduCommons

The creators will own the material, but will have chosen to license the material via one of the approved licenses.

* When and where will the OSLO meeting will be in January

Still finalizing the dates, but they will be between January 19 and 30. The location will be beautiful Logan UT. =)

If there's some sort of plurality pleasing "Education License" with restrictions that my group and I find unpalatable, but EduCommons allows a variety of licenses among which is BY-SA, then that's good enough for us.

Great!

The plan for the Free Curricula Foundation (now on hold pending more information about EduCommons) includes freedom for a project's initiator to select the license right for them, including Design Science License, GNU Free Document License, the range of CC licenses, and public domain.

Sounds like we're right inline with your plans.

Incidentally, one reason we're perfectly happy to drop the Free Curricula Foundation plan should EduCommons prove an adequate substitute is that it's actually a means to an end for us, not the end itself. Our actual goal is to set up a system of inexpensive, globally available standardized examinations that are based on free curricula and correspond with university level knowledge.

Called "New World University", the target market is the developing world, and the idea is to offer a university equivalent to those who otherwise would likely have to go altogether without. It's not Oxford, but then, that's not the objective. (You can imagine that I well understood the comment on the importance of allowing individualized study in any definition of "educational"!)

This sounds cool. Is there a website or someplace where we can read more about this?