cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Engaging the CC development community

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jonas Öberg <jonas AT coyote.org>
  • To: Ryan Merkley <ryan AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Engaging the CC development community
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 08:13:24 +0100

Hi Ryan,

first off - don't be dismayed in any way by grumpy old men on this
list (me included). I believe we all have CC's best interest at heart,
which is why we're stubborn about it.
The basic premise of the List is good, and I appreciate the effort
that has gone into it, I think it will be a useful addition to the
sphere of apps that use CC licensing, and I do look forward to seeing
it in its first release! The idea of List Makers is interesting, and
I'm wondering what organisations you have in mind here? I would think
that Wikimedia, or subprojects of Wikipedia, would be good List
Makers.

I think storing data with Internet Archive is good. You do mention CC
Search as well in the specification, which makes me wonder, have you
thought about implementing some function of the List Makers app to
make it possible to search the public commons when you add items to
the list? I would think that a number of images sought after may
already be available, or it may be relevant to include additional
information in the "ask" that separate it from existing images.

On the subject of contributor agreements, I didn't know that you
already had external contributors to the List, but knowing this, I can
understand and appreciate the need for a contributor agreement. There
are some comments I would raise, but my overall recommendation would
be that you re-think the contributor agreement to use, to the extent
deemed possible, one of the template agreements from the Harmony
Project - http://harmonyagreements.org/agreements.html, or the
somewhat newer Contributor Agreements -
http://contributoragreements.org/

In terms of other priority projects, I would again like to highlight
CC-REL, as this is one of the pieces that can't really be forked. I'm
not sure there are any extensive changes needed to CC-REL, but having
a clearer idea of who is the owner of CC-REL and what the process is
to bring about changes would be useful.

Sincerely,
Jonas