cc-devel - [cc-devel] HTML validation of 4.0 licenses

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Kat Walsh <kat AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org developers" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-devel] HTML validation of 4.0 licenses
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:52:51 -0800

The HTML for the 4.0 licenses as published doesn't validate correctly.
While it should currently display as intended for all browsers we're
aware of, we are planning to correct the files so that they do
validate--which requires that we make a change to the published files.

It is a best practice that the HTML validates, for many reasons, many
of which are given here: http://validator.w3.org/docs/why.html

We think it is important that everyone reading the legal code sees it
correctly, now and in the future, as small things like section
numbering and formatting can be significant. A few months ago we set
out a policy for what is and isn't legal code:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Legal_code

We believe this falls under the category of things that are not
considered legal code. However, this type of change isn't mentioned
specifically in the policy, and so we will be adding it to the list as
"HTML and other coding that does not change the user's view of legal
code elements". (We will also note the change to the files as a
footnote on the errata page.)

If you're currently producing a translation starting from the version
of 4.0 as published, we recommend that you check your completed files
against the corrected version when it is available, as we will be
requiring that the files validate before publication.

-Kat

--
Kat Walsh, Counsel, Creative Commons
IM/IRC/@/etc: mindspillage * phone: please email first

  • [cc-devel] HTML validation of 4.0 licenses, Kat Walsh, 01/28/2014