cc-devel - [cc-devel] CoursePacker

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Kent Mewhort <kent AT openissues.ca>
  • To: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org devel" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-devel] CoursePacker
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 17:16:28 +0200

Hi All,

I want to share an alpha version of a little project I'm putting together, CoursePacker.org. The goal is to allow users to quickly create university course packs, or other collections of openly-licensed works. Users can upload documents in a variety of supported formats and the web platform takes care of the document conversion, table of contents, page number stamping and CC license/attribution stamping.

It still needs some styling refinements and some bells and whistles, which I'll work on when I have a few free cycles to do so, but the core functionality is all there for anyone that wants to check it out (http://www.coursepacker.org). Firefox is recommended at this point (Chrome's internal PDF viewer doesn't work well for the embedded preview). Comments welcome. I'm thinking to perhaps release this under the CC Canada banner when it's ready.

My original was plan was to also eventually implement on-site widgets to pull in materials from Wikipedia, jurisprudence databases, and other websites with public domain or CC works. However, after perusing Dan's slides on Pasteboard, I'm wondering if Pasteboard could be leveraged and used to directly pull Pasteboard-collected content into a CoursePacker course pack...

Kent

  • [cc-devel] CoursePacker, Kent Mewhort, 09/19/2013