cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] WebStatement and attributionURL

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jonas Öberg <jonas AT coyote.org>
  • To: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT yergler.net>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] WebStatement and attributionURL
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 18:11:20 +0200

Hi Nathan!

I'd be hard pressed to argue semantics with one of the ccREL authors :-)

The specification is clear that attributionURL is "the URL to link to
when providing attribution", which is a reference to the license
requirement. I think what confuses it is that this is most often used,
even in the ccREL examples, to refer to what can be interpreted as the
URL of the attributionName. For example in the RDFa:

This work by <a xmlns:cc="http://creativecommons.org/ns#";
href="http://jonasoberg.net/"; property="cc:attributionName"
rel="cc:attributionURL">Jonas Öberg</a> is licensed under a <a
rel="license"
href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/deed.en_US";>Creative
Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License</a>.

Sincerely,
Jonas