cc-devel - [cc-devel] [GSoC2013] Need advice - Developing prototype for media fingerprinting library

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Nilesh Chakraborty <nilesh AT nileshc.com>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] [GSoC2013] Need advice - Developing prototype for media fingerprinting library
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 23:35:52 +0530

Hi everyone,

I have submitted my GSoC 2013 proposal for Creative Commons, to develop a media fingerprinting library and content-based media retrieval/matching system. I have discussed the details with Dan, and have a pretty good understanding of what I need to do.

I will go with either Java or Python for implementing them. OpenCV has bindings for both of them. Java would be a good choice, considering it's a bit faster when using with Apache Hadoop, than Python. On the other hand, Python would make for faster development, and there already exist a few lsh/minhash implementations like https://github.com/embr/lsh and https://github.com/go2starr/lshhdc. I can modify them to my own use or improve them as required. I'd need to write them from scratch if I go with Java.

If I go with Python, my choice for map-reduce framework would be Disco (a very compelte map-reduce implemetation with a distributed file system like hadoop's HDFS) instead of Apache Hadoop. Disco is much lighter than Hadoop and basically easier to set up.

Please tell me about your opinions. Once we decide on what to use, I shall begin prototyping.

Cheers,
Nilesh

--
A quest eternal, a life so small! So don't just play the guitar, build one.
You can also email me at contact AT nileshc.com or visit my website

  • [cc-devel] [GSoC2013] Need advice - Developing prototype for media fingerprinting library, Nilesh Chakraborty, 05/09/2013