cc-devel - [cc-devel] Queries about OpenHome projects Web Content API, and Fingerprinting Library

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Siddharth Kothari <sids.aquarius AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] Queries about OpenHome projects Web Content API, and Fingerprinting Library
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 22:22:28 +0530

Hi everyone,

I am interested in a couple of projects - CC Web Content API, and Media Fingerprinting Library. I wanted to see if I understand how these projects fit in the OpenHome project before starting some contributions.

The way I envision OpenHome is as a central system where the CC licensed contents will be indexed by their hashes. The CC Web Content API could be used by sites that aggregate user content, let's say: github, youtube, slideshare to find out remixing of an existing CC licensed content. The Media Fingerprinting library helps in determining deduplication of content (it should also work when a content is cropped, clipped, blurred or quoted in parts). Am I understanding this correctly?

I find the Fingerprinting project fascinating, but delving more into the idea and looking at pHash.org, I realized it already implements fingerprinting for image, audio, and video content and provides this as a nice API - http://www.phash.org/docs/howto.html. Unless we find GPLv3 too restrictive, I can't think of a good reason to not use this. Perhaps, pHash can be extended to support for text and compound media types (ppt, pdf). But I think starting with pHash and supporting text using w-shingling can be a pretty good start for the fingerprinting library. I would like to hear more thoughts on this.

The CC Web Content API project sounds appealing, since it is the glue that binds other parts, and perhaps crucial to the successful implementation of OpenHome project. Imo, this could perhaps be meshed with the Fingerprinting project (if pHash is used as a base). Essentially, the current Fingerprinting task is reduced to exposing the pHash library via a nice API. And over the time, pHash/Fingerprinting algorithms can be added/improved.

Let me know if I am making sense. Sorry if it's difficult to follow, we can carry this conversation on IRC. My nick is sids_aquarius.

Thanks,
Siddharth