cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] where-to-start

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] where-to-start
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 12:31:39 -0800

"building CC support into actual applications" is great at should be
highlighted, but not ideal at all for a new contributor:

- Sometimes trivially simple, so much so not really interesting
- Beyond the trivially simple, requires really significant
understanding of relevant standards and practices and how they might
relate to what application in question does
- Either of the above requires long-term maintenance or functionality
will quickly be abandonware, not working with new versions of
application, etc

But as a consequence of the above, fixing bugs and doing evaluations
and filing bugs against existing code which builds, or once
halfway-built CC support into some application is valuable, eg various
extensions that have been developed for WordPress, Drupal, and
Firefox.

I think it'd be interesting for whatever becomes of a CC developer
portal to also highlight applications that CC doesn't work on
directly, but already do support CC in some fashion. This collection
would be varied enough in implementation language, application domain,
etc, that anyone who wants to code for free culture (or something like
that) could find something they'd be really excited about. And
improvements in applications that people use to create, curate, etc
free culture, OA, OER, etc, are a big long-term win for CC.

Some obvious applications:
* Booki
* Freesound
* GNU FM