cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] ccREL in OAI-PMH

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Maarten Zeinstra <mz AT kl.nl>
  • To: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] ccREL in OAI-PMH
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 11:22:04 +0200

Basically that means that the namespace  does not only rely on RDF validation and that xml files with a reference to the XSD can programmatically detect flaws in formatting.
This could be extremely useful when communicating a lot of data (in for example OAI-PMH) with ccREL attached to it. I can think of an example where archives who own the rights of  their works want to use xml to communicate their metadata.

An XSD could state that you can use 0..n jurisdictions for license description, the date of deprecatedOn needs to be in a specific format, legalcode needs be a valid URI, etc.
What already is in the RDF schema but then for XML using the language that is already referred to in the 'date' link on the namespace page (http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes#date)

An XSD would both be to describe a simple reference to license documents as well as license definitions.

I believe I can find the time to work on a draft version of this file in the next weeks/months if this is useful to develop.

Best,

Maarten Zeinstra

Kennisland | Knowledgeland

T: +31.20.575.6720 | E: mz AT kl.nl