cc-devel - [cc-devel] GSoC proposal: Spotlight plugin

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Fabio Souto Moure <fsoutomoure AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] GSoC proposal: Spotlight plugin
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 19:16:59 +0200

Hello all,

I´m Fabio an Computer Science student at University of Vigo, Spain. I am planning to apply for a GSoC slot with Creative Commons, undertaking the Desktop integration project. I would like to implement a Spotlight plugin able to index license metadata and show it on the search results. Also the file license will be showed when the file info is requested in Finder(Command+I).

My idea its to make the plugin using the liblicense library. The trickiest part it's to create a installer for liblicense and all it's dependencies(Raptor, Exempi, libvorbis...), unfortunately only the libxml2 library is allready installed on MacOSX(>=10.5).

A Spotlight plugin has to parse and return the metadata from a file to the Spotlight server, the server do the rest. So I have to write an importer function  and some XML schemas. The plugin will be localizable using the "schema.strings" file.

Th plugin will be avaliable on MacOSX Leopard 10.5 and above. Maybe it can be used on Tiger and previous versions but this it's not a priority.

I try to install cc-spotlight on my machine but the installation fails :(. And I can't find the source code.
Any help?

I would be very appreciative of any feedback I could receive.

Kind regards

  • [cc-devel] GSoC proposal: Spotlight plugin, Fabio Souto Moure, 04/06/2010