cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Added license information support on Evince

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Juan José Marín Martínez <juanj.marin AT juntadeandalucia.es>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Added license information support on Evince
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 11:35:23 -0800

HI Juanjo,

That's great! I admit the situation with XMP isn't all that clear,
but I don't think there's an inconsistency with what we're
recommending. Let me take the fields/pieces one at a time.

First, the XMP generated by the license chooser ([2] in your original
message) defines three different things --

1) xapRIghts:Marked is set to "True", indicating that there's rights
information.
2) dc:rights contains a human readable statement about the license.
3) cc:license points to the actual license resource.

So software displaying this information might show the contents of
dc:rights and provide a license to cc:license if available.

If you look at the description of xmpRights:WebStatement on
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/XMP it indicates that it contains the
"URL containing metadata about the XMP-embedded file". The XMP schema
documentation describes it as "The location of a
web page describing the owner and/or rights statement for this
resource." So this isn't the license itself, but a page where more
metadata or information is available (ie, maybe the copyright page for
the work on my web site).

Reviewing the schema documentation, I think you may be correct that
our template needs to be updated in the following ways:

1) We need to use xmpRights as the RDF prefix for the XMP Rights
schema (I believe this has changed in the XMP spec over the years).
2) We need to replace or supplement dc:rights with
xmpRights:UsageTerms, as the schema documentation indicates this is
human readable text for how the resource may be used.

I've opened a ticket for that --
http://code.creativecommons.org/issues/issue505

Let me know if things still aren't clear or if I've missed something.

Nathan