cc-devel - [cc-devel] liblicense 0.8.1: The bugfixiest release ever

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] liblicense 0.8.1: The bugfixiest release ever
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 22:42:09 -0500 (EST)

Howdy CC-Devel folks,

I'm greatly pleased to announce liblicense 0.8.1. Steren and Greg found a number of major issues (Greg found a consistent crasher on amd64, and Steren found a consistent crasher in the Python bindings). These issues, among some others, are fixed by the wondrous liblicense 0.8.1. I mentioned to Nathan Y. that liblicense is officially "no longer ghetto".

The best way enjoy liblicense is from our Ubuntu and Debian package repository, at http://mirrors.creativecommons.org/packages/. More information on what liblicense does is available at http://wiki.creativecommons.org/liblicense . You can also get them in fresh Fedora 11 packages. And from the source tarball available for download from sourceforge.net at <https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80503&package_id=238700&release_id=649438>.

After my sign-off on this email, you can enjoy the full ChangeLog snippet for this release.

-- Asheesh.

P.S. Yes, Greg, we ship amd64 binaries too.

P.P.S. The test suite is now part of the Debian package build process, so all architectures we build for will be automatically tested.

P.P.P.S. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

liblicense 0.8.1 (2008-12-24):
* Cleanups in the test suite: test_predicate_rw's path joiner finally works
* Tarball now includes data_empty.png
* Dynamic tests and static tests treat $HOME the same way
* Fix a major issue with requesting localized informational strings, namely that the first
match would be returned rather than all matches (e.g., only the first license of a number
of matching licenses). This fixes the Python bindings, which use localized strings.
* Add a cooked PDF example that actually works with exempi; explain why that is not a general
solution (not all PDFs have XMP packets, and the XMP packet cannot be resized by libexempi)
* Add a test for writing license information to the XMP in a PNG
* Fix a typo in exempi.c
* Add basic support for storing LL_CREATOR in exempi.c
* In the case that the system locale is unset (therefore, is of value "C"), assume English
* Fix a bug with the TagLib module: some lists were not NULL-terminated
* Use calloc() instead of malloc()+memset() in read_license.c; this improves efficiency and
closes a crasher on amd64 <http://code.creativecommons.org/issues/issue103>
* Improve chooser_test.c so that it is not strict as to the *order* the results come back
so long as they are the right licenses.
* To help diagnose possible xdg_mime errors, if we detect the hopeless
application/octet-stream MIME type, fprintf a warning to stderr.
* Test that searching for unknown file types returns a NULL result
rather than a segfault.

--
Your motives for doing whatever good deed you may have in mind will be
misinterpreted by somebody.