cc-devel - [cc-devel] [ cctools-Feature Requests-2275999 ] Docs with space chars in their URLs to have _ instead

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "SourceForge.net" <noreply AT sourceforge.net>
  • To: noreply AT sourceforge.net
  • Subject: [cc-devel] [ cctools-Feature Requests-2275999 ] Docs with space chars in their URLs to have _ instead
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:20:30 +0000

Feature Requests item #2275999, was opened at 2008-11-13 03:36
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by fourstones
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=559969&aid=2275999&group_id=80503

not just the latest update.
Category: ccHost
Group: None

Initial Comment:
It would be better for documents with space charachters in their names to
have their URLs use _ instead of %20, automatically, so they don't look
unintelligible in browsers that don't show %20 as a space.

Comment By: Victor Stone (fourstones)
Date: 2008-11-25 13:20

Message:
I've moved this to 'feature request' area because there's no bug here.

I suppose there is code that could be written to check for a file with
spaces when the dashed version is not found but then that wouldn't account
for casing or any other potentially encoded character in an URL. The bottom
line is that this is pretty much "how the Internet works" and since you are
already manually creating the file and the choice to name it is yours, you
should name the file the way you want to see it as an URL. The alternative
is to map the URLs you wish to see this way in .htaccess mod_rewrite's
rules.

Comment By: Dave Crossland (crossland)
Date: 2008-11-25 06:01

Message:
login as an admin, go to manage content pages - /admin/content - and make a
new page with two words in the title, eg "one two" and the page URL is now
/one-two and the file on the filesystem is theme_files/docs/one-two.php

But if you create a theme_files/docs/one\ two\ three.php page "by hand",
the url is /one%20two%20three

I suggest that the URL be /one-two-three instead, even though the file
name isn't that.

Comment By: Victor Stone (fourstones)
Date: 2008-11-14 04:22

Message:
sorry, could you give a concrete example of what we're talking about here?
Steps to reproduce would be ideal...