cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Adding OFL support to XMP/liblicense

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Nicolas Spalinger <nicolas_spalinger AT sil.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Adding OFL support to XMP/liblicense
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:20:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Nicolas Spalinger wrote:

Hi,

A little while ago, Jon Phillips has recommended you as the ideal person
to talk to about adding Open Font License (OFL) support to
XMP/liblicense to be able to flag font and font sources with the license
both for users and designers. From the git/svn repos and the Debian
packaging I can see that there are already such definitions for GPL and
LPGL underway as well. Open fonts have a key role to play in the Commons...

Thanks! I do agree that open fonts have an important role to play in a free and open technology world!

The description of the license is here:
http://scripts.sil.org/OFL

It's a community-recognized license for fonts:
http://unifont.org/go_for_ofl/

With the corresponding human-readable representation here:
http://scripts.sil.org/OFL#9ccf5052

I'm attaching a draft rdf snippet of the machine-readable code.

I put that on the web for people joining us late: http://labs.creativecommons.org/~paulproteus/draft-scripts.sil.org_licenses_OLF_1.1_.rdf

Apparently the given sample isn't quite valid XML nor RDF, but I have a sense of what it means.

I noticed you created your own terms that mean "Derivatives" and "Distribution" and "Notice" and a few others. Do you intend to use a different vocabulary?

Also, I'm not really sure what we would do with the RDF file. Can font files store embedded metadata about the license they are under? (That's a serious question!)

I don't think it makes sense in the GUI chooser we bundle with liblicense to let people chose the OFL.

Let me know what you think the best way would be for such an approach,
what needs to be done and how I can help.

I'm CC:ing cc-devel so other minds can think about this too! I do appreciate you getting in touch with me.

-- Asheesh.

--
In the Spring, I have counted 136 different kinds of weather inside of
24 hours.