cc-devel - [cc-devel] liblicense 0.5

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] liblicense 0.5
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:46:02 -0800 (PST)

I'm happy to announce liblicense 0.5. Summary: Now this is worth using.

This release features a huge amount of great work by:

Contributors: Hubert Figuiere <hub AT figuiere.net>
Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
Peter Miller <millerp AT canb.auug.org.au>
Scott Shawcroft <scott.shawcroft AT gmail.com>
Jason Kivlighn <jkivlighn AT gmail.com>

Most important things about this release:

* Uses SONAME versioning and provides an ABI guarantee - if you link to liblicense.so.1 from here on out, you'll get back an ABI-compatible library even if has code updates.

* Fixes many, many segfaults! (It used to segfault if you asked it to read (for example) a corrupt JPEG.)

* RDF for licenses has been dramatically cleaned up by CC CTO Nathan Yergler.

* Adds module shutdown function.

* More flexible API - fewer helper functions, more generic functions.

* We're (fairly) careful about only exporting ll_* symbols.

* Mostly C89 compliant, particularly by not relying on variable-sized array feature of C99.

* Support environment variables that override the plugin or license RDF paths for flexibility in strange deployment scenarios.

You can download it from SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80503&package_id=238700&release_id=568827 .

-- Asheesh.

--
There is no proverb that is not true.