cc-devel - [cc-devel] REST service and caching or local copy?

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Kevin Ollivier <kevino AT theolliviers.com>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] REST service and caching or local copy?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:48:18 -0700

Hi all,

I'm working on integrating a Creative Commons license chooser into a wxPython application using ccwsclient, and one thing I'm noticing is that when using the REST service, there is (expectedly) a brief delay after switching options. Of course, it can make the application appear sluggish to those who don't realize it is connecting to the Internet, and ideally I'd like to make it possible to choose a license without connecting at all. So I was wondering - is there some recommended way to cache data or check against the server to see if there are new options, etc. available? It looks like liblicense actually has a copy of all the licenses with it, but I'm hoping to use something that is pure Python as I need Win and Mac support and want to keep dependency setup/maintenance work to a minimum.

Thanks,

Kevin