cc-devel - [cc-devel] liblicense API - function names

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Peter Miller <millerp AT canb.auug.org.au>
  • To: creative commons developers <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-devel] liblicense API - function names
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:13:30 +1000

Hi All,

I have finished up first pass of adding Doxygen comments to the
functions in the liblicense.h file, and I've moed on to documenting
*how* to actually use the library, for simple use cases like

- how to obtain the license attached to a file
- how to display the attributes of a license

real beginner stuff. I'll have a commit in a couple of hours.

But I've noticed an inconsistency, a big one. The module functions have
"module" in them, and the jurisdiction functions have "jurisdiction" in
them, etc. But the license functions don't have "license" in them.

For example, ll_verify_uri is used to confirm that its argument is a
valid license URI. But attributes are also URIs, so going by this
function name it would be reasonable to expect that you could pass an
attribute URI to ll_verify_uri. I would like to suggest adding the word
"license" to license specific functions.

(We could keep the old names as well, but add the gcc "deprecated"
attribute, to encourage use of the new names.)

What do folks think?

Regards
Peter Miller <millerp AT canb.auug.org.au>
/\/\* http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53 2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

"This code is like a gob of peanut butter for the roof of your
brain." -- Final Cut Pro easter egg