cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] XMP/CC in Tracker, first patch

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Hubert Figuiere <hub AT figuiere.net>
  • To: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: CC Developer Mailing List <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] XMP/CC in Tracker, first patch
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 17:13:02 -0400

Nathan R. Yergler wrote:
>>> Just to be clear, this means that for, say, file.jpg, the xmp
>>> sidecar would be at file.xmp (and not file.jpg.xmp)?
>> Yes. That's what it is.
>
> Is this a standard from the non-free implementations?

That's what they do.
This is also what is said page 36 of the XMP spec. And I quote:

"For applications that need to find external XMP files, look in the
same directory for a file with the same name as the main document but
with an .xmp extension. (This is called a sidecar XMP file.)"

> It seems like this can only lead to more likely collisions in sidecar
> files (ie, what if I have "july4.jpg" and "july4.mpg" in the same
> folder?).

Good point. The other thing is that said implementations don't use
sidecar for files that they know how to rewrite, as recomended in the
spec, also page 36. That means in your example none file will use a
sidecar. On the other hand, camera RAW do. And maybe other types.

I'm not sure how to solve that problem, but I know that the namespace
"http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/"; has a property SidecarForExtension
that designate the extension of the file the XMP sidecar refers to
(Adobe Bridge CS3 does set it). This property is not documented in the
specification.

Hub