cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] XMP Embedding in TIFF, Bug?

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Hubert Figuiere <hub AT figuiere.net>
  • To: Jason Kivlighn <jkivlighn AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: CC Developer Mailing List <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] XMP Embedding in TIFF, Bug?
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:43:55 -0400

Jason Kivlighn wrote:
> Hi Hubert,
>
> I seem to have come across a bug in Adobe's code for embedding XMP in
> the TIFF format. The spec[1] says that the XMLPacket tag has type BYTE,
> but Adobe assigns a type of UNDEFINED. libtiff complains and is unable
> to read the XMP when given the wrong type.
>
> In TIFF_Handler.cpp, changing
>
> this->tiffMgr.SetTag ( kTIFF_PrimaryIFD, kTIFF_XMP, kTIFF_UndefinedType,
> this->xmpPacket.size(), this->xmpPacket.c_str() );

> this->tiffMgr.SetTag ( kTIFF_PrimaryIFD, kTIFF_XMP, kTIFF_ByteType,
> this->xmpPacket.size(), this->xmpPacket.c_str() );
>
> solves the problems I'm having.
>
> This should be passed on to Adobe. Do you know who to contact to get
> this fixed?

Nice patch. Will apply it.

As for sending the patches upstream, I have already a whole set
including the one that allow building on Linux and the brings 64-bits
compatibility... (yes code written in 2007 still does not compile on
platform where sizeof(void*) != 4. I will add that one to the list.

So far I still have to hear from them. I have asked both to the PM and
the public forums who to send patches to, still have to get an answer....

Hub