cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] XMP Developer Challenges and Announcing "Palimpsest"

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] XMP Developer Challenges and Announcing "Palimpsest"
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:13:22 -0500

Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 17:20 +0900, Conrad Parker wrote:
>
>>I'm a maintainer of vorbis-tools (oggenc, ogg123 etc.) and I'm
>>interested in including support for CC standards. The details of
>>including XMP data have not been worked through for Ogg files, and it
>>would be good to ensure things interoperate.
>
> Vorbis comments are sufficient, see http://wiki.creativecommons.org/OGG
>
> Though working out the details of XMP in OGG would be nice longer term.

I think I definitely want an XMP implementation (or more to the point a
single, well-defined RDF schema -- I'm focusing on XMP, because CC has
already singled it out as a best-practice system). For me, the key issue
is to get a number of different formats to have interchangable metadata.

So it's better if one can use the more expressive and universal format
and figure out how to embed it. The support for native fields has more
to do with supporting existing documents and format-specific
applications that need them.

Cheers,
Terry