cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Implementing an AJAX license chooser

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Jonathan Guerin <j.guerin AT uq.edu.au>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Implementing an AJAX license chooser
  • Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 20:04:19 -0500

The simple chooser was developed well after the basic service, and the
idea of filtering didn't come up during the initial web service
development. In some ways, filtering isn't really needed for the basic
service -- if you only want to offer a particular class of licenses
(say, the base licenses and not sampling), just don't provide an
interface to change the license class.

For example, the tools we've been developing first request
http://api.creativecommons.org/rest/1.5/classes to get the list of
license classes available, and then call something like
http://api.creativecommons.org/rest/1.5/license/standard or
http://api.creativecommons.org/rest/1.5/license/recombo when the user
selects a particular class. If you just wanted to show the standard
licenses, you'd just request
http://api.creativecommons.org/rest/1.5/license/standard and go from
there.

I can provide an example of the PHP+AJAX code that only does the
standard license class if that'd be useful.

I guess the one thing you can't do easily with the standard API that you
can with the simple API is restricting to something like "only
commercial-allowing licenses".

Nathan