cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] [Cctools-cchost] ccHost API

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Victor Stone <fourstones.net AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, "cctools-cchost AT lists.sourceforge.net" <cctools-cchost AT lists.sourceforge.net>, Jaime Frutos Morales <acidborg AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] [Cctools-cchost] ccHost API
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 07:10:30 -0700

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 19:45 -0700, Victor Stone wrote:
> (cross posting to cchost list)
>
> On 7/29/06, Jaime Frutos Morales <acidborg AT gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm thinking about creating an application to download CC music files
> > from ccHost-based sites, but I don't know if there is any existing API
> > to do this. Other approach could be to parse the feed looking for
> > audio files, but this option would only download latest content.
>
> actually the feed might be enough because it is based on tags and
> other goodies. The basic syntax is:
>
> [root_url]/[virtual_root]/feed/[feed_type]/[tag_list]
>
> where tag list is a space delimited list of tags to search for.
>
> http://ccmixter.org/media/feed/rss/editorial_pick+funky
>
> http://ccmixter.org/crammed/feed/rss/contest_source+crammed
>
> In fact the tag list can be a user's login name:
>
> http://ccmixter.org/media/feed/rss/victor
>
> For text based searches you can use the Sample API which also returns
> rss feeds (more info here:
> http://ccmixter.org/media/viewfile/pool_api_doc.xml )
>
> Let me know if that doesn't answer your question...
>
> VS

Also, let me add as well that ccHost can also do full dumps of all
hosted media to ATOM 1.0, RSS 2.0 and other feed formats in the future.

One can generate these feeds with the script on one's system:

php PATH_TO_CCHOST/bin/data_dump.php [OPTIONS GO HERE]

Here is one cronjob for generating an atom feed every 3 days:

15 4 * * 3,6 cd /web/ccmixter/www && /usr/local/apache220/php/bin/php
> bin/data_dump.php -o atom.xml -t audio -f atom 2>&1 >/dev/null

The downside to using this data is that it is not a realtime selection
of content, but worthy for those who might have a search engine or some
system that crawls sites.

Also, IMO, it is best to use the ATOM feed if you go this route
primarily because of the good political situation around it.

Jon