cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] CD containing CC-licensed material

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • To: Bjorn Wijers <mailings AT bdisfunctional.net>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] CD containing CC-licensed material
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 14:43:50 -0700

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 14:31 +0200, Bjorn Wijers wrote:
> Yep,
>
> Combining them both so people can view/listen/share/remix/create using
> the software and the content on the cd. I volunteer to create a
> selection of the best music on Simuze (http://www.simuze.nl). Just send
> me an email about how to proceed.

Awesome, please post this on the LiveCD challenge page:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/LiveCD

This would be great to have nonetheless. This actually raises some
interesting questions with regards of how to discover new content. Any
good ideas on how to discover good open content?

What tools/sites already exist that could be used to report on the
hottest open content/media?

> ps: Don't forget to contact the ccMixter, DiSFish, Dying-Giraffe and
> Magnatunes folks for content. Or I can help with that?

Please help with it!

> grtz
> BjornW

Great!

Jon

> Andrea Glorioso wrote:
> > On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 01:09:13AM +0530, Soumyadip Modak wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I was looking at the Google Summer of Code proposals, and the Creative
> >> Commons LiveCD proposal caught my eye. Talking to people on #cc on IRC,
> >> threw up a few interesting possibilities.
> >> "tannewt" suggested that instead of a Linux LiveCD, I could make CD
> >> resembling the OpenCD (http://www.theopencd.org) with CC-licensed content
> >> and maybe a few applications to work on the material, like audacity, etc.
> >>
> >> I'd like to know the opinion of people on the possible structure of the
> >> CD.
> >> Will a traditional Linux live CD be a better idea, or is the OpenCD
> >> style CD
> >> more useful ? Please suggest ideas that you would like to see
> >> implemented on
> >> the CD.
> >
> > Wouln't a GNU/Linux live CD containing CC licensed content and CC-enabled
> > applications the right solution? People with Windows could still access
> > the
> > content, but the CD could also be used as a showcase of the possibilities
> > of
> > "free culture" works - from functional content (software) non
> > non-functional.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Andrea

Jon Phillips