cc-devel - [cc-devel] New Simple Web Services

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT yergler.net>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] New Simple Web Services
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:01:12 -0500

I've just published the initial implementation of a simplified web services interface for including a license chooser in applications. This implementation is not intended to replace our existing web services, but instead offer simplified integration for developers who may not need the full "2.5 questions" chooser. The interface returns elements in an HTML drop-down in one of two formats -- either HTML or HTML wrapped in javascript "document.write" calls.

The service is currently located at http://api.creativecommons.org/rest/dev/simple/chooser.

Parameters:

jurisdiction
0-1, returns licenses if jurisdiction is supported, generic licenses
otherwise
example value: de

exclude
0-n, excludes license urls containing string specified
example value: nd

language
0-1, defaults to en, used for license names
example value: ja

select
0-1, if specified value used for value of name attribute of select
element, otherwise select element is not included.

Implicit Parameters:

If invoked with .js on the basename (ie, "chooser.js"), the results are wrapped in javascript document.write() calls

example invocation:

http://api.creativecommons.org/rest/dev/simple/chooser?exclude=nc&exclude=nd&select=license_url

example output:

<select name="license_url">
<option
value="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/";>Attribution-ShareAlike2.5</option>
<option
value="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/";>Attribution2.5</option>
</select>

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

Nathan R. Yergler
Software Engineer
Creative Commons

  • [cc-devel] New Simple Web Services, Nathan R. Yergler, 03/06/2006