cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Questions about getting the license_url

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Questions about getting the license_url
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:20:32 -0700

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 15:44 +0800, Yanzer wrote:
> 1. SO THE REAL question is what is the best way to acquire the
> license_url without using the popup type that is taught on
> the web integration bit on
> http://creativecommons.org/technology/web-integration
> I don’t want to use this because it brings ppl out of our
> site, then direct them to the main engine, then comes back to
> our site.. which seems to long of a process.

Let me just emphasize part of Nathan's response:
> We really encourage partners to use this service because it allows us
> to centrally update available licenses, and your site/code "just works".

If you don't want to use the web-integration directions (or simply send
users to http://creativecommons.org/license/?jurisdiction=my (Malaysia
hasn't launched yet, so the jurisdiction parameter has no effect, but it
will immediately when the ported licenses are launched)), you must use
the API if you're building an official CC site (and I encourage people
building other websites and apps to use the API as well).

Although it would seem simple, it is all too easy to produce a buggy
license chooser that gives people the wrong licenses, and it is nearly
impossible to assure that you're giving people up to date licenses with
an independent implementation.

--
Mike Linksvayer
http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21