cc-ch - Re: [Cc-ch] Final Licence?

cc-ch AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: iCommons Switzerland

  • From: "Look@TheAlternative" <look AT thealternative.ch>
  • To: cc-ch AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-ch] Final Licence?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 00:09:38 +0100

Salut Katja

> I wanted to know whether we are going to have a final licence for
> Switzerland or if this project has been stopped .... it seems the
> discussion archive is 3 months old ... i just wanted to know whether
> this was still an on-going project.

I am not member of the CC Switzerland team who took responsibility for
the translation I cannot give you a clear answer to that; but I agree
and share you concerns: the Swiss project looks dead. Unfortunately! :-(

> Also, these licences per country, how does it work? Is it based on where
> you live, what nationality you are?

The idea is that you choose the country's license where you want to
protect a work. If you are sitting in Geneva and wrote a text which you
want to put online, you would choose the Swiss license (if there would
be one...) if you are somewhere else you choose anoter country's
license. -- And if your country's license does not exist you can choose
any, but preferrably one of a country which is (legally) close to yours.
In (y)our case, that could be Germany.

In any case, national licenses are "just" trying to mimic the basic
concept of the original (US) license. So, basically, it should not make
a difference which license you choose. But... not all countries' (C)
laws are compatible, which means that some concepts of the original
license may not be easily transferred to anothe country's jusrisdiction.

Soooooo... to be short: take a German license for the time being. Or if
you do not want that, the original (US) one. :-)

> Salutations de Gen?ve,

Salut de Zurich,
Marcus

--
_____www.TheAlternative.ch_____
For a Sustainable Digital World

Pls send open-format attachments, thanks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument