cc-ca - Re: [CC-ca] Moral rights in version 3.0

cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Canada

  • From: Andy Kaplan-Myrth <techlaw AT uottawa.ca>
  • To: Russell McOrmond <russell AT flora.ca>
  • Cc: cc-ca AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [CC-ca] Moral rights in version 3.0
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 08:29:45 -0400

Hi,

Russell McOrmond wrote:
I tend to just use the US licenses when I'm the one setting the
license. If I ever get sued I hope I'll find a lawyer that will try to
convince a judge to interpret the license the way it would be in the US,
which is without a right of integrity at all.

I don't know whether that argument will be successful or not, but note that even the US version of the 3.0 licence explicitly retains moral rights now:

4(f) Except as otherwise agreed in writing by the Licensor or as may be
otherwise permitted by applicable law, if You Reproduce, Distribute
or Publicly Perform the Work either by itself or as part of any
Adaptations or Collections, You must not distort, mutilate, modify or
take other derogatory action in relation to the Work which would be
prejudicial to the Original Author's honor or reputation. Licensor
agrees that in those jurisdictions (e.g. Japan), in which any
exercise of the right granted in Section 3(b) of this License (the
right to make Adaptations) would be deemed to be a distortion,
mutilation, modification or other derogatory action prejudicial to
the Original Author's honor and reputation, the Licensor will waive
or not assert, as appropriate, this Section, to the fullest extent
permitted by the applicable national law, to enable You to reasonably
exercise Your right under Section 3(b) of this License (right to make
Adaptations) but not otherwise.

Cheers,
Andy

--
Andy Kaplan-Myrth LL.B., M.A.
Manager, Law & Technology, University of Ottawa

Faculty of Law : Faculté de droit
University of Ottawa : Université d'Ottawa
57 Louis Pasteur Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5
Canada

t. 613/562-5800 x3206