cc-br - [cc-br] guidelines for discussion

cc-br AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Brazil

  • From: Glenn Otis Brown <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-br AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-br] guidelines for discussion
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:47:08 -0700

1) Bookmark important emails for review later.

For example:

a) https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-br/2003-August/000018.html -->

is the first draft of the translation/adaptation by FGV and Mr. Lemos da Silva. You will likely return to it often, as it is the centerpiece of discussion, so please bookmark it now for efficiency later.

Also:

b) https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-br/2003-August/000019.html -->

is the re-translation of the license plus the explanation of what substantive legal changes were made. As I said before, I thank Mr. Lemos da Silva many times over for this document. It really is a model that every other iCommons discussion list should follow. (Beginning with Japan and Finland, whom i'll send a copy to very soon.)

-------------------------

2) Keep your emails a) relatively short

and

b) limited to one subject per email.

This will help other not be overwhelmed by mail, leaving it in small, digestible amounts of text. This approach provides the additional benefit of being able to link back to previous emails by subject very easily (as I've demonstrated above).

3) Please limit your suggested changes to things that will better help the license fit into Brazilian law.

The role of the discussion is not to second-guess either a) Creative Commons general policy, b) the philosophy reflected in the license, or b) decisions of Mr. Lemos da Silva's that, if made otherwise, would not substantively have changed how the license operates in Brazil.

In other words, the goal is to change the license the least amount possible to make it concord with Brazilian law. Suggestions that go beyond this goal will most likely not affect the final license.

The first line of judgment on what changes are made is Mr. Lemos da Silva's. The final judgement of what changes are accepted is Creative Commons' -- mine and iCommons coordinator Christiane Asschenfeldt -- with Mr. Lemos da Silva's help

4) Please feel free to ask us questions about our laws, and to tell us what you like better (or, heaven forbid, worse) about how yours work.

Part of the fun of this discussion will be, I hope, that we get to compare the quirks and eccentricities of our respective nation's copyright laws. I know that I'm most interested in seeing how the U.S., where I'm from, can learn from the rest of the world in these matters. I expect the archived discussion, when it's finished, will serve as a history of this experience that will be useful to anyone from any country interested in these issues.

So despite my comments in section 3) above, I hope you'll let the discussion be free and healthy, but also focus suggested changes to the text to the smallest necessary to make the license work within Brazilian law.

Thanks very much. It's now Mr. Lemos da Silva's discussion to lead.

Glenn

Glenn Otis Brown glenn AT creativecommons.org
Executive Director t +1.650.723.7572
(cc) creativecommons f +1.650.723.8440

  • [cc-br] guidelines for discussion, Glenn Otis Brown, 08/05/2003