cc-br - [cc-br] Re: Meeting with The Ministro Tomorrow

cc-br AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Brazil

  • From: carolina.rossini AT corp.terralycos.com
  • To: <cc-br AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-br] Re: Meeting with The Ministro Tomorrow
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 16:49:40 -0300

----- Forwarded by Carolina Rossini/TerraBR on 06/02/2003 04:49 PM -----
"GUIGO - Guilherme Alberto de Almeida" <guialmeida AT tozzini.com.br>

06/02/2003 12:53 PM

        Subject:        Re: Meeting with The Ministro Tomorrow

Dear all,

We agree that this is certainly an important step and an historical moment for Brazilian Culture.

So far, within a small group (me, Mrs. Carolina Rossini, Mr. Guilherme Carboni and Mr. Omar Kaminski), we have started some work and discussions in order to port the CC licenses to Brazilian legal system.

We have been dealing specifically with potential aspects of the Brazilian legislation that could hinder the full enforceability of the CC licenses (such as the fact that moral rights cannot be waived, or license limitations in the Brazilian legal context, which could difficult a 'share-alike' license, for instance). We have also been considering that it could be helpful for the context to present a bill of law with some amendments to Brazilian actual legislation on Copyrights (Law 9610/98).

Also, we have been working on a translation of the licenses, which could speed up our discussions and the implementation of open content initiatives in Brazil

Further to that, we would be glad to join you in the discussions for the Canto Livre project, and we remain available to provide you any necessary assistance. As regards the meeting scheduled for today, I will try my best to participate in person, though this might not be feasible due to my professional commitments. In any case, we would be happy to participate by means of a Conference Call, if possible.

We can be reached through Carolina Rossini's phone (11-5509 0444), which is able to join further calls and therefore connect me and Mr. Kaminski in the conversation. Please inform whether this is feasible for you.

Omar Kaminski can also be reached at the phone (41 323-4522); my phone contact, at work, is (11 3291-1573).

We are really eager to help and participate in this project.

Best regards,

Guilherme de Almeida
(speaking also on behalf of Guilherme Carboni, Carolina Rossini, and Omar Kaminski)
>>> <carolina.rossini AT corp.terralycos.com> 02/06/03 07:41 >>>
----- Forwarded by Carolina Rossini/TerraBR on 06/02/2003 07:38 AM -----

John Perry Barlow <barlow AT eff.org>
06/01/2003 09:24 PM

       To:     Joaquim Falcão <jfalcao AT fgv.br>, Hermano Vianna <hermano AT alternex.com.br>,
Ronaldo Lemos <rlemos AT fgv.br>, <ronaldo AT suchodolski.com>, Renata Streit
Maria Gil <maria.gil AT minc.gov.br>, Carolina Rossini
<carolina.rossini AT corp.terralycos.com>
       cc:     Julian Dibbell <julian AT juliandibbell.com>, Larry Lessig
<lessig AT pobox.com>, <tio AT pobox.com>
       Subject:        Meeting with The Ministro Tomorrow

Dear Friends,

I just got back from an encounter with Sweet Gil in São Conrado and
he has agreed to meet with all of us tomorrow afternoon at 5:30.
(Unfortunately, I may not be there myself, since I have a flight that
leaves at 7:15, but I'm working on changing that...)

We discussed Canta Livre, or whatever it ends up being called, and he
seems very much on board, pending our sorting out the necessary
structural pieces (particularly the legal ones).

This is starting to feel pretty real to me.

In any event, the meeting will take place in his office in São
Conrado at 5:30. The address is Strada da Gavia, 135. If you have a
problem, the number there is 3323-1600.

You can also call me for further details on the cell phone below.

Anyway, let me know if you can't make it. I hope you'll be there.
This could be an historic moment in Brazil.

Fondly,

Barlow

--
John Perry Barlow, Cognitive Dissident
Co-Founder & Vice Chairman, Electronic Frontier Foundation

Home(stead) Page: http://www.eff.org/~barlow

Call me anywhere, anytime: 800/654-4322

Fax me anywhere, anytime:  603/215-1529

Current Cell Phone: +55 (0)21 9328-7700

Alternative Cell Phone: 646/286-8176 (GSM)

Barlow in Meatspace Now: Rio de Janeiro (Until 6/2)   +55 (0)21 9328-7700

(Projected) Trajectory from here:  New York City (6/3-5) -> San
Francisco (6/6-9) -> Los Angeles (6/9-12) -> Salt Lake City (6/12-17)
-> Toronto (6/17-21) -> New York City...

Our job is to love others without stopping to inquire whether or not
they are worthy. That is not our business and, in fact, it is
nobody's business. What we are asked to do is to love, and this love
itself will render both ourselves and our neighbors worthy if
anything can.

-- Thomas Merton

  • [cc-br] Re: Meeting with The Ministro Tomorrow, carolina . rossini, 06/02/2003